farce [farce farces] BrE [fɑːs] NAmE [fɑːrs] noun
1. countable, uncountable a funny play for the theatre based on ridiculous and unlikely situations and events; this type of writing or performance
• a bedroom farce (= a funny play about sex)
2. countable a situation or an event that is so unfair or badly organized that it becomes ridiculous
• The trial was a complete farce.
early 16th cent.: from French, literally stuffing, from farcir ‘to stuff’, from Latin farcire. An earlier sense of ‘forcemeat stuffing’ became used metaphorically for comic interludes “stuffed” into the texts of religious plays, which led to the current usage.
• The debate degenerated into farce when opposing speakers started shouting at each other.
• The whole procedure has become a complete farce.
• Farce is often looked down upon by serious theatre goers.
• Feydeau's classic bedroom farce is set in turn-of-the-century Paris.
1. a comedy characterized by broad satire and improbable situations
Syn: farce comedy, travesty
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:
|v. t.||1.||To stuff with forcemeat; hence, to fill with mingled ingredients; to fill full; to stuff.|
[imp. & p. p. Farced p. pr. & vb. n. Farcing
The first principles of religion should not be farced with school points and private tenets.
His tippet was aye farsed full of knives.
|2.||To render fat.|
If thou wouldst farce thy lean ribs.
|3.||To swell out; to render pompous.|
Farcing his letter with fustian.
|n.||1.||(Cookery) Stuffing, or mixture of viands, like that used on dressing a fowl; forcemeat.|
|2.||A low style of comedy; a dramatic composition marked by low humor, generally written with little regard to regularity or method, and abounding with ludicrous incidents and expressions.|
Farce is that in poetry which "grotesque" is in a picture: the persons and action of a farce are all unnatural, and the manners false.
|3.||Ridiculous or empty show; as, a mere farce.|
Find a translation for definition "Farce" in other languages:Want to translation into your language always showing? Log in and set your language in your profile Please, keep in mind it's machine translation (MT), and not a perfect translation. Just help you to understand the meaning.