laugh·ter BrE [ˈlɑːftə(r)] NAmE [ˈlæftər] noun uncountable
the act or sound of laughing
• to roar with laughter
• tears/gales/peals/shrieks of laughter
• to burst/dissolve into laughter
• a house full of laughter (= with a happy atmosphere)
• He gave a snort of derisive laughter.
see split your sides (laughing/with laughter) at split v.
[laughter] Old English hleahtor, of Germanic origin; related to German Gelächter, also to laugh.
• A ripple of laughter ran round the room.
• Andrea burst into cruel laughter.
• Everyone dissolved into fits of laughter when they saw my haircut.
• Gerry exploded into more drunken laughter.
• He gave a sudden bellow of laughter.
• Her infectious laughter had everyone smiling.
• His suggestion was greeted with peals of laughter.
• Hunter's statement drew laughter from the crowd.
• I heard sounds of raucous laughter upstairs.
• She was bent over with suppressed laughter.
• That comment brought another round of laughter.
• The joke provoked laughter from all of them.
• Will was no longer able to contain his laughter.
• the canned laughter of a sitcom
• Everyone burst into fits of laughter.
• He threw back his head and roared with laughter.
• I grew up in a house full of laughter.
1. the sound of laughing
2. the activity of laughing; the manifestation of joy or mirth or scorn
- he enjoyed the laughter of the crowd
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:
|n.||1.||A movement (usually involuntary) of the muscles of the face, particularly of the lips, with a peculiar expression of the eyes, indicating merriment, satisfaction, or derision, and usually attended by a sonorous and interrupted expulsion of air from the lungs. See Laugh, v. i.|
The act of laughter, which is a sweet contraction of the muscles of the face, and a pleasant agitation of the vocal organs, is not merely, or totally within the jurisdiction of ourselves.
Archly the maiden smiled, and with eyes overrunning with laughter.
Find a translation for definition "Laughter" in other languages:Want to translation into your language always showing? Log in and set your language in your profile Please, keep in mind it's machine translation (MT), and not a perfect translation. Just help you to understand the meaning.