never adverb, exclamation BrE [ˈnevə(r)] NAmE [ˈnevər] adverb
1. not at any time; not on any occasion
• You never help me.
• He has never been abroad.
• ‘Would you vote for him?’ ‘Never.’
• ‘I work for a company called Orion Technology.’ ‘Never heard of them.’
• Never in all my life have I seen such a horrible thing.
• Never ever tell anyone your password.
2. used to emphasize a negative statement instead of ‘not’
• I never knew (= didn't know until now) you had a twin sister.
• I never realized just how easy it is.
• (especially BrE) Someone might find out, and that would never do (= that is not acceptable).
• He never so much as smiled (= did not smile even once).
• (especially BrE) ‘I told my boss exactly what I thought of her.’ ‘You never did!’ (= ‘Surely you didn't!’)
• (BrE, slang) ‘You took my bike.’ ‘No, I never.’
• (old-fashioned or humorous) Never fear (= Do not worry), everything will be all right.
Old English nǣfre, from ne ‘not’ + ǣfre ‘ever’.
Idioms: Well, I never! ▪ on the never-never
used to show that you are very surprised about sth because you do not believe it is possible
• ‘I got the job.’ ‘Never!’
see never mind at mind v.
[never] Old English nǣfre, from ne ‘not’ + ǣfre ‘ever’.
1. not ever; at no time in the past or future
- I have never been to China
- I shall never forget this day
- had never seen a circus
- never on Sunday
- I will never marry you!
2. not at all; certainly not; not in any circumstances
- never fear
- bringing up children is never easy
- that will never do
- what is morally wrong can never be politically right
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:
|adv.||1.||Not ever; not at any time; at no time, whether past, present, or future.|
Death still draws nearer, never seeming near.
|2.||In no degree; not in the least; not.|
Whosoever has a friend to guide him, may carry his eyes in another man's head, and yet see never the worse.
And he answered him to never a word.
Find a translation for definition "Never" in other languages:Want to translation into your language always showing? Log in and set your language in your profile Please, keep in mind it's machine translation (MT), and not a perfect translation. Just help you to understand the meaning.