per·haps BrE [pəˈhæps] BrE [præps] NAmE [pərˈhæps] adverb
• ‘Are you going to come?’ ‘Perhaps. I'll see how I feel.’
• Perhaps he's forgotten.
2. used when you want to make a statement or opinion less definite
• This is perhaps his best novel to date.
3. used when making a rough estimate
• a change which could affect perhaps 20% of the population
4. used when you agree or accept sth unwillingly, or do not want to say strongly that you disapprove
• ‘You could do it yourself.’ ‘Yeah, perhaps.’
5. used when making a polite request, offer or suggestion
• Perhaps it would be better if you came back tomorrow.
• I think perhaps you've had enough to drink tonight.
• Perhaps you'd like to have a wash before the others arrive.
• Perhaps you would be good enough to let him know we are on our way.
[perhaps] late 15th cent.: from per + hap ‘chance’.
Making an opinion sound less definite
▪ Most cybercrime involves traditional crimes, such as theft and fraud, being committed in new ways. Phishing is perhaps ▪ / possibly ▪ / probably ▪ the best-known example of this.
▪ It seems ▪ / appears ▪ that the more personal data which organizations collect, the more opportunity there is for this data to be lost or stolen.
It seems clear that ▪ introducing national ID cards would do little to prevent identity theft.
It could be argued that ▪ the introduction of national ID cards might actually make identity theft easier.
It is possible that ▪ / It may be that ▪ the only way to protect ourselves against DNA identity theft is to avoid the creation of national DNA databases.
Language Banks at impersonal, opinion
- perhaps she will call tomorrow
- we may possibly run into them at the concert
- it may peradventure be thought that there never was such a time
Syn: possibly, perchance, maybe, mayhap, peradventure
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:
|adv.||1.||By chance; peradventure; perchance; it may be.|
And pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
Find a translation for definition "Perhaps" in other languages:Want to translation into your language always showing? Log in and set your language in your profile Please, keep in mind it's machine translation (MT), and not a perfect translation. Just help you to understand the meaning.